Monday, January 28, 2013

Lampshade UP-Style DIY

Not sure if you're a dumpster diver like me, but I found this chandelier a while ago and it has been through MANY incarnations. Since I found it on the side of the road I have no problem using it for my different projects.  I finally decided on gold with Mixed Media lampshades....but that could change next week.   For now, here's how I made the shades and if I make more, I'll share those, too.  Deal?  Deal!  By the way, just use your home copy machine for images and go to town.  Any kind of trim will do, too!  Happy crafting my lovely friends!
Here's the how-to video just in case!
My chandelier
Before the trim
If you don't have enough crystals, try beads or sparkly ribbon from the 99c store!

 You'll need:
Book pages
Glue gun
E-6000 Spray Adhesive
Scissors
Paper lampshades
Images from your home copy machine
Minwax Polycrylic
Trim of your choice
Cut your book pages in strips the length of the lampshade.  Don't worry about being too precise, you can trim later.
Spray the pages with E-6000 spray adhesive.  If you can't find it yet, use some white school glue and a paintbrush
 Apply them to your shade covering all of it.
 Let dry for about 25 minutes
Trim the excess off of the edges 
Cut out your images. I love birds and butterflies. Dover Publications has great clip art books.
Using the Minwax Polycrylic, apply them to your lampshade
Hot glue trim around the edges of the shade 
 
You're done! 

1 comment: